Thursday, November 17, 2011

We’re Diller and We Know It! - Workshop #2!





We haven’t seen each other in two weeks, (feels like forever), and I know that each and every one of us secretly wondered if our first meeting after the Shabbaton might be awkward. Well, rest assured, it wasn’t. If anything, we picked up where we left off; joking, laughing, and all together having a great time. First, the Swag Committee split us into groups to see who could design the best t-shirt to represent our Diller swag. Each group designed different shirts, but somehow they were all similar. Each shirt included everyone in Diller 5, swag, and the idea that we represent New Jersey, and Israel. We all had an amazing time creating the shirts that we will wear to represent our group on Super Sunday!



In addition to this, last Sunday was the Global Day of Jewish Learning which is a day that is practiced by Jews all of the world and is dedicated to celebrating Jewish foundational texts and philosophy. As part of the day, Leah, our coordinator, presented us with a discussion about our names; where they came from, who we were named after and the meaning behind it. We discussed how even our family names can tell us a lot about where we come from and our Jewish heritage. Leah also prepared a page for each of us with our Hebrew names and their meanings to see if they had any relation to us and as a way to look deeper into our Jewish identities. What was shocking to me was that during the Shabbaton, I learned I was a visionary, so I was shocked to see that my Hebrew name actually refers to someone with the personality trait of a visionary! It was really cool to feel a that spark; that moment of connection to me as a person and me as a Jew. The two are innately connected.



During lunch, we were visited by Diller 4. It was cool to watch as they entered the room. They were hugging and laughing as if they’d been best friends for forever and it was just yesterday that they were all together, like us. There was one thought that ran through my head, and I know it ran through everyone else’s too: that’s going to be us before we know it. Loud, excited, and enthusiastic, they joined us and offered there wise words of Diller wisdom in order to help us with our year ahead. They worked tirelessly to help develop, direct, and produce anamazing video that was created and sent to our sister and brother Dillers in Rishon Le'Zion as a way to introduce ourselves to them. For the basis of the video, we used a contemporary song by LMFAO, except we changed the lyrics to, “We’re Diller and We Know It”. Overall, it was a really fun time, and we were happy we got to spend time with the Dillers before us.
We ended our time together with something taught to us by Diller 4 - The Achim Dance. Achim means 'brothers' and it was the perfect way to end the visit from Diller 4, our brothers. This time I left with an aching feeling in my chest. I couldn’t believe our time together was already over. The four hours passed so quickly that it was hard to believe it was over. I missed everyone as soon as I pulled away from Metrowest and I can’t wait until we all get to see each other again. Excuse me, social committee? Let’s get on that. Love you guys!




- RB and Daniela :)

No comments:

Post a Comment