Friday, April 6, 2012

It’s Monday Morning, But That Doesn’t Mean Goodbye

It’s Monday morning, and I unwillingly wake up. Today is the day I’ll have to say goodbye to the girl who has been staying with me for nearly two weeks, and has become a part of my family. Luckily for me, I’m on break, so I have an extra chance to say goodbye to the twenty one Israelis who have made me eat, sleep, and breathe diller for the last few days. I’ve grown to love them, to know them, and to joke with them in the short amount of time they’ve been here. It blows me away that I feel this attached. I know goodbye will be hard, but I decide to leave with Yuval to set out for Whippany, one last time with my Israeli during NAS, to say goodbye.

As we loaded up Yuval’s luggage into our car, I couldn’t help but wonder two things: 1. Did I affect her, as much as she affected me? and 2. Did I make the most of every opportunity I had with Yuval? Between taking Yuval to Dunkin’ Donuts, (and then of course Starbucks to compare the two,) the 911 memorial down the road, Red Mango, The Brookside Diner, the local ice skating rink, my temple, and many other places, I look back on the entire time spent with her, as a success. I know that personally, I’m forever changed by her coming, and I can’t wait to meet up with her again in Israel. I learned so much from her - the way she speaks, the way she jokes, and the way she lives. In her short time here, Yuval is not just a country, but a way of life. She taught me that after being in Diller she truly appreciates Israel as a Jewish State, and in three months it will be necessary I experience it too.

Upon entering the Federation and realizing I was seeing these Israeli Dillers for the last time in America, I took advantage of the precious last few moments I had with them. We hugged, talked, laughed, and cried our way through the last twenty minutes of their time in America. We reflected on the various moments of NAS we will never forget. For example, the moment the Israelis arrived and ran into the Federation, as the Americans stood their very awkwardly and and clearly unsure of how to react to twenty three Israelis who had just gotten off a twelve hour flight, or of the Saturday night during the Shabbaton where we danced and sang in a crowded space, most likely fit for only about twenty or so people, or even the night before when we gathered at the Resnick’s for one last mesiba.

As the final clicks on cameras, waves goodbye, and tears drifted away, we knew it was time to go. As we waved back to the Israelis one last time and turned to walk to our cars, we all felt as though a part of us was missing. On the drive home I found myself frequently checking the back seat to find that no one was back there and it was simply just a feeling that someone was back there, because Yuval wasn’t actually there. In fact, the entire day we found ourselves having to remind each other over and over again that there would not be a program, we would not be meeting up with the Israelis later, and we would be seeing them in one hundred and five days.
One hundred and five days. Here we were, Americans without our Israeli counterparts. Israelis we’d known for less than two weeks, and yet, Americans spent the entire day moping around as if our best friends were moving to Jupiter. The Israeli Dillers made more of an impact on us than I ever thought to be possible. These next one hundred and five days are going to be filled with excitement as the day we live for comes closer. Personally, I’ve never been to Israel, and I’m more than excited and honored in the fact that I will get to spend my first time with my Dillers. They mean the world to me, have taught me so much, and have truly changed me. This isn’t goodbye just yet. We will be seeing the Israelis soon enough in Israel, and none of us can wait.

Overall, the North American Seminar was the happiest, craziest, most emotional, and most learned from event that I’ve ever taken part in. Before the Israelis arrived, I remember thinking a lot about how I thought the Israelis might change us, but I never considered how much they’d change us. The NAS has brought us closer to our sister group, but it has also brought us closer to each other as well. Through the seminar, I’ve learned that no matter what I can always lean back on my Dillers. They’re absolutely amazing and I love each and every one of them, because without them, Diller just wouldn’t be as special.

The entire NAS experience wouldn’t have been possible without the major schlepping, late nights, and concern of our parents. They not only went to work each day, but made sure we focussed long enough so we worked as well, AND that our Israelis had a good time while being here. We hope you know how much we love you, appreciate you, and thank you.

In addition, we have to thank the staff - Leah, Keren, Shiri, Noga, Max, Addi, Aliza, and Zohar, for diligently working to make sure Diller 5 had the best time possible. Without you all, Diller wouldn’t be diller. Despite us sometimes being too loud, too wild, or having too much ruach, you still managed to keep us on track. With all your commitment and sacrifices, you’ve managed to make Diller an extremely important part of our lives, and we will be forever thankful.

Achim Forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment