Sunday, July 22, 2012

July 21, 2012: Shabbat morning, the Old City, and Havdalah at the Kotel

Since this trip is my first time in Israel, I have obviously heard many generalized things about how this trip is supposed to go. Visiting Jerusalem and the Kotel was, of course, made out to seem like the most incredible experience anyone religious could ever have. I personally have always thought that was over exaggerated and it would be nice, but nothing too special. I can honestly say that I have never been more wrong about something in my entire life. The second we entered the Old City, my heart started racing, and I could literally feel the butterflies in my stomach. We went up on a balcony and saw the Kotel from a distance, and at that moment, I began to think a million things at once. This spot is the center of Judaism, this spot is the ‘east’ that everyone looks at when they pray, this spot is literally the most Holy spot in the entire world, and I am lucky enough to get to be here. It was unexpected, but I began to cry the happiest tears I have ever cried before. I was literally overwhelmed with the whole thing, and I couldn’t wait to get closer. Walking up to the Kotel was breathtaking. The Diller girls and I took our Sidurim and made our way to the wall on the women’s side, which was significantly smaller than the men’s side. It was hard to focus on the Havdallah service with all the tears swelling up in my eyes, but pretty soon I found myself leaning my forehead against the Wall with my note in my hand and having trouble getting my thoughts into real sentences. In that moment, I really felt the most powerful connection I have ever experienced. I knew where I was standing and what I was doing, but I still don’t think I have fully wrapped my brain around it. I am sooooo unbelievably grateful that I was fortunate enough to experience this, and being able to share it with my Diller family made it all the more amazing.



- Marisa Parnes
PS- Hey mom and dad!! I miss you guys so much, but I’m having an amazing time in Israel! I hope Adam and Ben are having fun at camp, and you guys are having a good summer too. I’m doing great and I can’t wait to speak to you soon and tell you more! Love you! Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment