Saturday, July 23, 2011

Day 11: Why I am thankful

Waking up this morning felt like a pretty typical congress day. Get up shivering because our A.C. is amazing, throw on whatever is on top of your suitcase and listen to lectures about being leaders. After my daily 3 hour nap (highly useful as Erica noted), I was awoken by Zoe who informed me it was time to get ready for Shabbat and, as usual, I was running late. I jumped in the shower, threw on my white dress and ran down the stairs, because before Shabbat began we took pictures of all the Diller Fellows. I felt a little bit stressed, emotion that I don't enjoy during the week, let alone on Shabbat, but then we participated in a Shabbat parade, filled with singing and instruments (played by many of the Rishon-Lezion Dillers), and came to a field where we all sat in order to do Kabbalat Shabbat. The coordinator for Tel Aviv got up, and taught as a song where someone in the audience got up and gave thanks for something in their life, after which the rest of the audience sang "And for this, I am thankful." It was truly a great way to get me out of my whiny mood and into my calm Shabbat mood. One-by-one kids got up and began giving thanks. With my fear of public speaking I was not planning on standing up. However, I would like to share with all of you from the comfort of my bed what I am thankful for. I am so thankful for Diller. It has truly changed my life in ways never imaginable. It has taught me to stand up for my opinions and beliefs, and that there is no one right way to practice Judaism. I have learned to accept the way I connect to Judaism, a lesson that I believe only Diller could teach me. I am also so grateful for the family I have gained. Daphna, Leah, Jess and Darren are not only amazing people to have as role models but also are easy to talk to and know how to have a good time. The Israelis are like our wild and crazy counterparts, with whom there is never a dull moment. And of course, thankful to my fellow MetroWest Dillers who have truly become my brothers and sisters. We cry, whine and laugh together. We have learned how to work as group, be each others' support team and, more than anything, be each others' friend and for that I am forever grateful. Last but not least, I think I speak for the entire group when I thank all our parents for the amazing love and support and for sending us on this amazing journey. We love you and miss you all!
-Molly Dickman

No comments:

Post a Comment