Saturday, July 16, 2011

Day 4: Home is where your heart is

Shabbat Shalom, everyone! It is impossible to describe the abundance of emotions that the Dillers went through today, but for the sake of this blog, I will do my best...

Today, for me, has been the most memorable day of our trip in Israel. We started the day by driving to Yad Vashem, Israel’s Holocaust Museum. We walked through the museum, which was not just crowded with people, but also crowded with the memories of those who perished. I held hands with many of the Dillers as we looked at pictures, objects, and video footage of the inhumane event that wiped out 6 million of our own people. I’m sure all of you have your own feelings and connections to the Holocaust, but for me, my Holocaust education has shaped my life in numerous ways. The one thing I’ll always know is that there is always more to learn. We can forgive, but we can never forget. Everyone in Diller came to realize that in order to be the leaders of the future, we need to understand and embrace our past.

What really struck me today was the value of Israel for the Jewish people. After we visited Yad Vashem, we walked through Mount Hertzl, the Israeli military cemetary. I know it seems rather depressing, first walking through a Holocaust Mueseum and then through a cemetary, but for me, it made me realize what we were fighting for: what Israel really means. Israel is our religion’s home and it is where we should be. I have always been proud to be an American and I always will be, but Israel is my home away from home... Israel is in my heart now as well. We welcomed Shabbat tonight looking at the Kotel (aka the Wailing Wall) and I could feel the tears coming down my face. I have never seen such a beautiful sight (besides you Mom!). Afterwards, we all had the chance to place notes in the Wall. I walked up to the wall, placed my note in, rested my head against the warm, welcoming Wall and whispered “Thank you.” This trip has been life changing and one I will never forget. Thank you is not enough.
- Arielle

PS: I had my first shawarma today, and it was amazing. Mom, you better look up the recipt.

No comments:

Post a Comment