Thursday, July 25, 2013

Sam's Section of The Super Summer Seminar - July 24, 2013

Hey all! Today was amazing. As a counselor in this seminar that teaches its participants about the value of Tikun Olam, I have much more respect for all of the current Diller counselors. Yes, the chanichim (campers) are a pleasure to meet, teach, and learn from, but attending to their needs along with the schedule has been taxing for all of us. As the seminar progresses, however, we are developing more intimate bonds with our wonderful chanichim and, in turn, learning about their backgrounds and values which precipitated from their childhood in Ramat Teleyahu (an underprivileged Ethiopian neighborhood in Rishon Le Zion). We are truly blessed to have this experience and we have all learned from this once in a lifetime opportunity! 


Aside from the physical interaction with the chanichim, all of us are enjoying the time we get to spend together as a complete Metro-LeZion cohort. It is truly refreshing to spend time with our Israeli counterparts, whom we have dearly missed, and to rekindle the relationships made approximately 100 days ago. It's truly amazing how much Hebrew we are all able to learn from being in this situation. That being said, the language barrier also presents an array of challenges which we creatively overcome in order to share with each other. I am truly astonished how this wonderful program opens my eyes to aspects of my world as a Jew, which are far from my home of New Jersey; the magnificent land of Israel.



Shout out to my parents, Amy and Loren Grossman! I miss you and I hope all is well in New Jersey. As you can see, I'm having a awesome time!!

- Sam Grossman

No comments:

Post a Comment