Wednesday, August 14, 2013

From Beginning to End - August 7, 2013

We woke up at 7:15 at the youth hostel right outside Tel Aviv on the last day of our trip. We all were very sad that we were leaving the other half of our cohort family, but we still had a full day of fun and exciting activities. After eating the final breakfast in Israel we broke up into smaller groups and had the final conclusion to the international congress. In this activity we rediscussed the sixth leg as well as talking about Jewish values. With an hour long bus ride ahead of us, most of the cohort decided to take a nap before arriving in Zichron Yaakov, a small town. Aftering touring around the city we headed towards "Mini Israel" which is exactly what it sounds like. There we stepped back from all of our amazing experiences and looked at it from an almost birds eye view of all the historical sights to see in Israel. After dinner we were on our way to Ben Gurion Airport on a fairly wishy washy bus ride filled with many different emotions. Saying goodbye to some of the most unique, friendly, and kind Israelis in all of the Holyland.

At "Mini Israel" we had to answer the questions, Where we found our strongest Jewish connection, Where we found our strongest connection to Israel and its people, Where would we bring the cohort to if we could go anywhere new in Israel, and lastly where would we visit again if we could go anywhere. I found my closest connection to my Jewish heritage in the city of Jerusalem but more specifically the Western Wall. There was just such a strong religious vibe flowing through the city. I could feel, taste, and smell the passion towards Judaism. While at the Western Wall, surrounded by the orthodox men bowing back in forth I finally felt comfortable in my religion and a very homey feeling hit me very strongly. It is safe to say that Jerusalem was my favorite of all the cities that we visited because of combination of amazing history and fun attractions for tourists like me to do. 

In addition to feeling my deepest connection to Judaism in Jerusalem, I also felt my strongest connection to the Israeli people in Jerusalem. As I hinted on it before, being surrounded by such religious people made me feel at home. Being a reform Jew in a town with the majority of Jews being reform, it is not very often to see many orthodox people walking around the streets. First entering the city of Jerusalem for the first time, we drove in with all the blinds down until we finally were in the city completely. That was very powerful for me personally and I'm sure to other Dillers as well. 

When I first wrote down where I wanted to visit again I did not put much thought into it. But during our discussion after the "Mini Israel" tour, Coby told the group that he would've liked to have visited Yad Vashem again. I felt as if the Holocaust Museum was very, very powerful and I would've enjoyed experiencing it a little more and learning more.

During these three weeks in Israel I found my own Jewish identity. For the first time in my life I can honestly say that I'm 100% comfortable with my religion. I am certain that I can speak for the whole Greater MetroWest cohort when I say that we had the time of our lives whether it was with the Israelis or just us. None of this trip would've been possible without the amazing Diller staff we had. Rachel (Rayfo), Meital (Meishort), and of course Leah (Mama Leah) were all so very supportive with anything at all and without them I don't think this trip would've been as special or successful. Sitting on the plane now talking to some Israel natives just solidifies the theories that Israelis really are the most friendly people on the planet. Laila Tov everyone see you in a couple hours.

Corey Basciano

No comments:

Post a Comment