Tuesday, June 24, 2014

"Friends are the family you choose"

The NAS was truly an incredible experience. From day one, when we meet our Israeli counterparts for the first time, I knew that the 10 days to follow would be some of the craziest I’d ever had, but nothing prepared me for the bond I would create with not only 20 strangers from another country, but also with 20 Americans who I now truly consider family. Throughout the NAS, these were people I laughed with, talked with, cried with, screamed with, and bonded with. They all helped me to manage the week and helped keep me sane, and the memories are what will get me through until the summer.

Walking away from the NAS, I find myself looking forward to the summer more than ever. All of the Diller alumni told us that we would find a connection with the Israelis. I’ll admit that I was a little skeptical at first, but after spending 10 days with them, I know that our bond will only strengthen in Israel. I’ve been fortunate enough to meet 20 awesome Israelis and the foundation of a lifelong friendship is obvious. 10 days is too short a time to form really deep connections with someone, but these people are now friends. It’s weird to think that less than a few weeks ago I had no personal connection to any of them, and now I find myself thinking about them and talking to them constantly. It’s true: MetroLeZion is just the best cohort out there. 


The bond that the Americans have come out of the NAS with is truly incredible. Before the NAS, we thought we were pretty jelled as a group, but looking back on everything, it’s crazy to think that we thought we were bonded. NAS gave all of us a platform on which we could grow, share, and talk. Our ma’agal lilahs are something that will stay with me forever, because it’s in these circles where the Americans have really been able to share with each other. There’s something so special about being in a circle with 20 people you may or may not have connected with originally and hearing about their lives, hopes, dreams, and struggles. These people know more about me than a lot of people, and if you had told me 7 months ago that they would be some of my closest friends I might have laughed and told you that you were wrong. I can’t imagine how close we’ll get to become after Israel, but I know that in the week since NAS ended, we’ve proven our strengthened bond by constantly messaging, texting, snapchatting, whatsapping, and hanging out with each other. 


I knew NAS would be important, but since NAS ended, many of us have been saying that we have separation anxiety from being apart from our Israelis and our Americans. They say that friends are the family you choose, and that statement could not be more accurate in describing my NAS experience. 


-Micaela Kaplan

No comments:

Post a Comment