Tuesday, June 24, 2014

I am living in a "Diller world"

For me, the NAS was a mixture of new experiences, making friends, and learning about different cultures. Looking back, the NAS was one of the best experiences of my life. I met so many new people, and experienced so many new cultures. The friendships I’ve made with my new Israeli best friends are ones I know will last a lifetime. Yet, the day that stood out the most to me was the last Saturday with the Israelis, when the Americans had almost a whole day to spend with the Israelis and show them American culture. 

I went into NYC not only with my partner, but a whole group of Dillers. We visited the Highline and ate food, and had a great time. It was impossible to get sick of them because hanging out with them was so much fun. I was able to spend quality time with them and learn about both the Israeli and American Dillers that day.

That night, we had an overnight at the JCC all together. We learned about different Jewish cultures, a community service organization, and got to spend the night to hang out. I stayed up all night talking with the Israeli’s. Trying to avoid the inevitable: them leaving. We talked, danced, played games, sang, etc. I felt like I had known them all for years, even though I met them 10 days before. The memories that I made that night I know I will remember for a long time. That night flew by in what felt like minutes, and when it was over, and Diller shrunk down to 20 again, it didn’t feel right. That is when I knew that the people I had met just days before were going to be my best friends. I missed them before they had been gone for ten minutes. I not only became super close with the Israeli’s, but I also felt a new bond towards my American cohort. A bond that only us as Dillers could understand, but it has brought us all together and made us closer than we ever were before.

I didn’t expect to miss people I had just met so much. Now my life revolves around Diller. When will I see the Americans next? How many more days till ISS? That was the day I started a countdown on my phone to remind me everyday how close I am to the ISS. Right now, we have 85 days. Even after spending ten whole days with them, when they left, it was one of the saddest moments ever. Now, I’m so excited for ISS 2014!

-Cara Lisser

No comments:

Post a Comment