Tuesday, June 24, 2014

NAS: A Snapshot of our Unforgettable Diller Experience

As a joke, I once declared "Diller Cohort 7, where we take 50 group selfies for every one nice deed". The joke stems from our long group sessions of selfies we take at various gatherings, whether it be at Super Sunday or any other charitable event. What I didn't realize at the time was that the selfies weren't just group pictures. They truly represent the group gathering together and enjoying ourselves. In fact, the chance that almost 40 kids would fit into the lens of a small camera amazes me. And the best part about the selfies was the fact that they were all inclusive. Nobody was left out, all were welcome to join. The Israelis joined the Americans and the Americans posed right next to the Israelis.

Another very meaningful moment during the NSA was the Hike. As we all climbed the mountainous hill, we reached a beautiful point with a breathtaking glimpse of New Jersey. We were told that if we all screamed at once and stopped at once, we could hear the echo. Let me rephrase that. If all 44 teens and 3 adults would be silent at once, all scream at once, then be dead silent all together, we would accomplish our goal. I thought there was no chance... until we did it. We all cooperated and worked together, and we accomplished the goal.

The most meaningful moment overall however was when I realized the Israelis would not be coming back as they hopped on the bus to leave. What we did, all the activities, all the fun, it was over. I will not see all the Israelis in the Federation, I will not get to hang with the group at cups and grab some food. I will not even see them until Israel. This has taught me that from now on, I must live in the moment because moments never return to us no matter how much we want them to.

-Seth Wasserman

No comments:

Post a Comment